Venison Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1.5 lbs ground venison
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add venison and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until brown on all sides. Remove from heat. Drain if needed.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When butter starts bubbling, place onions in the saucepan and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t burn. Add garlic and continue to stir for another minute. Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste to saucepan, and stir until tomato paste is incorporated. Cook until the sauce starts to simmer.
- If you like a chunkier sauce, skip this step. If you prefer a smoother, puree-like sauce, remove the sauce and blend for 30 seconds in a high-heat blender or food processor.
- Return the sauté pan with the meat to medium heat. Add the sauce and cook until simmering. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the liquid has reduced, stirring regularly.
- Enjoy the meat sauce over your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash. Top with shaved Parmesan or Asiago cheese and parsley (optional).